Step 3: Deploy V Series nodes on VMware NSX-T
This section provides step-by-step information on how to deploy V Series Nodes.
GigaVUE V Series Nodes can be deployed on VMware NSX-T in two ways. You can either directly use VMware NSX-T manager to deploy your nodes or use GigaVUE‑FM to deploy your V Series Nodes.
Refer to the following section for more detailed information:
- Deploy GigaVUE V Series Nodes using VMware NSX-T Manager
- Deploy GigaVUE V Series Nodes using GigaVUE‑FM
You can deploy your V Series Nodes using VMware NSX-T manager. Once the nodes are registered with GigaVUE-FM, you can configure monitoring session and related services in GigaVUE-FM.
Refer to the following sections for details:
- Getting Started
- Deploying V Series Nodes in VMware NSX-T Manager
- Delete V Series Nodes and Monitoring Domain
- Upgrade V Series Node deployed using VMware NSX-T Manager
To register your V Series Nodes using VMware NSX-T manager, follow the steps given below:
- Create a monitoring domain in GigaVUE-FM. Refer to Connect to VMware vCenter for detailed instructions.
- In the VMware Configuration page, select No for the Use FM to Launch Fabric field as you are going to deploy V Series Nodes using VMware NSX-T manager.
Note: When creating the Monitoring Domain for deploying V Series Nodes, you can use the VMware NSX-T username and password that has atleast "NETX Partner Admin" role assigned to it.
- After creating your monitoring domain, you can use VMware NSX-T manager to deploy your nodes.
- In the Service Deployment page of the VMware NSX-T manager, select Deployment. Then select GigaVUE Cloud Suite from the Partner Service drop-down. For detailed information, refer to Deploy a Partner Service topic in VMware Documentation.
- After selecting the Deployment template and Deployment Specification, click Configure Attributes. The Configure Attributes page appears.
- In the Configure Attributes page, enter the Service VM Host Name and Admin user password details.
- Once the V Series Node is successfully deployed, the deployed node is registered with GigaVUE‑FM after the run time status of the node is displayed as UP in VMware NSX-T manager.
The V Series Node deployed in your VMware NSX-T manager appears on the Monitoring Domain page of GigaVUE-FM. In GigaVUE‑FM the Status of the node is displayed as Launching and once the node is successfully registered the Status is changed to Ok.
- IPv6 address is not supported for gateway of the tunnel interface when nodes are deployed through the VMware NSX-T manager.
- When you deploy nodes using VMware NSX-T manager, ensure all your V Series Nodes are of same version. GigaVUE-FM does not support V Series Nodes with different version in the Monitoring Domain.
Note: When you deploy your V Series Nodes using VMware NSX-T manager, you cannot directly delete your V Series Node in GigaVUE‑FM. In this case, the Delete button in GigaVUE-FM is disabled, so the Service Deployment in NSX-T Manager must be deleted first.
To delete a GigaVUE V series node deployed using VMware NSX-T Manager, follow the steps given below:
- Delete the Policy and Service Chain in the VMware NSX-T manager.
- Then, delete the Monitoring Session in GigaVUE‑FM.
- Delete the node in VMware NSX-T manager. Then, the node will be unregistered from the Monitoring Domain in GigaVUE‑FM.
- Finally, delete the Monitoring Domain in GigaVUE‑FM.
Note: When you deploy your V Series Nodes using VMware NSX-T manager, you cannot directly upgrade V Series Node in GigaVUE‑FM. In this case, the upgrade button in GigaVUE-FM is disabled.
To upgrade V Series Nodes deployed using VMware NSX-T, follow the steps given below:
- Delete the existing V Series Node in VMware NSX-T Manager.
- Click Edit in the Monitoring Domain page and enter the new Image URL in the VMware Configuration page.
- Then, deploy the new V Series Nodes in the VMware NSX-T manager.
This chapter describes how to create a monitoring domain for deploying V Series node in VMware NSX-T hosts. You must establish a connection between GigaVUE-FM and your vCenter environment before you can perform the configuration steps for V Series node. After a connection is established, GigaVUE-FM launches the configuration for the V Series node.
Refer to the following sections for details:
- Connect to VMware vCenter
- Deploy V Series fabric on VMware NSX-T
- Upgrade V Series Node in GigaVUE-FM
To configure VMware vCenter in GigaVUE-FM:
- In GigaVUE-FM, from the left navigation pane, select Inventory > VIRTUAL > VMware > Monitoring Domain. The Monitoring Domain page appears.
- On the Monitoring Domain page, click New. The VMware Configuration page appears.
In the VMware Configuration page, enter or select the following details:
Monitoring Domain Name of the monitoring domain Connection Alias Name of the connection Virtual Center IP address of the vCenter Username Username of the vCenter user with admin role privilege Password vCenter password used to connect to the vCenter Setup NSX-T Enable to setup NSX-T and the fields of NSX-T to appear.
Enter or select the following details for NSX-T:
- NSX-T Manager: IP address or Hostname of your VMware NSX-T.
- NSX-T Username: Username of the your NSX-T account.
- NSX-T Password: Password of the your NSX-T account.
- The NSX-T user account must have admin privileges.
- Each NSX-T manager can support a maximum of one monitoring domain.
- FM Username: Username of the your GigaVUE-FM account.
- FM Password: Password of the your GigaVUE-FM account.
- Image URL: Web server URL of the directory where V Series node OVA, VMDK, and OVF files are available. The Web Server URL must be in the follwoing format: http://<server-IP:port>/<path to where the OVF files are saved> and the port can be any valid number. The default port number is 80.
Note: Before VMware Configuration, all the contents of the OVA file must be extracted and placed in the directory which represents the Image URL.
- Click Save and you are navigated to VMware NSX-T Fabric Deployment page.
- In the VMware NSX-T Fabric Deployment page, enter or select the following details.
Datacenter vCenter Data Center with the NSX-T hosts to be provisioned with V Series nodes
Cluster where you want to deploy V Series nodes
Network datastore shared among all NSX-T hosts. Management Network Management network for V Series nodes
Tunnel Network for the V Series nodes
Tunnel Gateway IP
IP address of the Tunnel Gateway Tunnel CIDR CIDR value of the Tunnel
User Password: (gigamon)
SSH Password of the V Series node Form Factor Instance size of the V Series node
Service segment created on NSX-T
Type of V series node deployment. You can select Clustered or Host Based deployment type
Deployment Count (for Clustered deployment type)
Number of V Series nodes (Service Instances) to deploy
- Click Deploy. After the V series node is deployed in vCenter, it appears on the Monitoring Domain page under Fabric tab of the selected Monitoring Domain.
To view the fabric launch configuration specification of a fabric node, click on a V Series fabric node, and a quick view of the Fabric Launch Configuration appears on the Monitoring Domain page.
Before upgrading the nodes ensure that all the current V Series nodes are of same version. To upgrade V Series Node in GigaVUE-FM:
- In GigaVUE-FM, on the left navigation pane, select Inventory > VIRTUAL > VMware > Monitoring Domain. The Monitoring Domain page appears.
- Select a monitoring domain and click Fabric. From the drop-down list, select Upgrade Fabric, the V Series Node Upgrade dialog box appears.
- Enter the Image URL of the latest V Series Node OVA image.
Click the Change Form Factors check box to modify the form factor (instance) size.
Note: Both the new and the current V Series nodes appears on the same monitoring domain until the new nodes replaces the current and the status changes to Ok.
- Click Upgrade.
You can view the status of the upgrade in the Status column of the Monitoring Domain page.
To view the detailed upgrade status click Upgrade in progress or Upgrade successful, the V Series Node Upgrade Status dialog box appears.
Click Clear to delete the logs of successfully upgraded nodes.
If the V Series Node Upgrade failed or interrupted for any reason, under Fabric drop-down click Continue Fabric Upgrade to continue the V Series Node upgrade process.