Important GigaVUE-FM Upgrade Guidance
To upgrade GigaVUE-FM, the recommended procedure is to back up your current configuration and perform the pre-upgrade checks (memory requirements, the maximum number of images) before installing the image. You can upgrade via the GigaVUE-FM GUI or CLI. It is recommended that you plan your upgrade before performing any upgrade steps.
Important: Intent-Based Orchestration (IBO) Policies are removed when upgrading from any pre-5.11 version of GigaVUE-FM to version 5.11.00 or above. IBO Policies will need to be recreated after upgrading to 5.11.00 or above.
Best Practice: Before performing an upgrade, in addition to taking a backup of GigaVUE-FM, also take a Sysdump, which provides valuable configuration information that is not captured in the backup. You can use the Sysdump after the upgrade to troubleshoot any upgrade-related issues with your configurations.
- Intent Based Orchestration (IBO): IBO Policies are removed when upgrading from any pre-5.11 version of GigaVUE-FM to version 5.11.00 or above. You must recreate the IBO Policies after upgrading to 5.11.00 or above. Refer to the "Orchestrated Configurations" section in the GigaVUE-FM User's Guide details on how to create policy.
- Storage Management: The time period specified for the storage management settings will be configured to the default values when upgrading to GigaVUE-FM v5.11.xx. After completing the upgrade, you must reconfigure the time period to the required values.
- Remember to upgrade your GigaVUE-VM deployments: When upgrading GigaVUE-FM, you must also upgrade your GigaVUE-VM deployments. For the steps to upgrade GigaVUE-VM, refer to the “Bulk Upgrading GigaVUE-VM Nodes” section in the GigaVUE Cloud Suite for VMware—GigaVUE V Series Guide.
- Tags Applied to Resources: After you upgrade to software version 188.8.131.52, duplicate tag values will not get associated to nodes and ports while adding and removing nodes from the clusters. However, the existing duplicate tags on the resources do not get cleaned up as part of the upgrade. You must run the following script (bundled with 5.11) to remove the duplicate tags of nodes/clusters and ports.
Script name: duplicate_tags_removal.
Note: It is recommended that a sudo privileged user runs this script. The default admin user is a sudo privileged user.
To run the script:
- SSH to GigaVUE-FM.
- Execute sudo duplicate_tags_removal.
- You can see the logs in the console.
GigaVUE-FM v5.8.01 introduced several significant changes that included improvements in usability and performance. These changes involved upgrading and replacing databases and changing the underlying operating system. For this reason, when upgrading from any pre-5.8.xx version of FM to version 5.8.xx or above, you must first migrate your existing configurations and data such as audit logs, events, syslogs, and statistics from your current pre-5.8.xx GigaVUE-FM version to GigaVUE-FM v5.10.xx.
Special migration steps and supported upgrade paths are provided under Migrate GigaVUE-FM in the 5.10 Documentation. After GigaVUE-FM v5.10.xx, migration is no longer needed when upgrading to future versions. For supported upgrade paths requiring a special migration step, see Supported GigaVUE-FM Migration and Upgrade Paths.